Thursday 12 March 2009

The adventures of the stuffed sheep or where is the Craft section?

"Excuse me! "
"Hello "I say looking up "can I help you?"
"Yes "says customer "I'm looking for the crafts section"
As this particular customer looks like a giant unraveling jumper, I'm
not surprised.
"It's through those doors" I say "up the stairs and second room on the
right , there is a stuffed sheep in the corner"
"Right" says lady and disappears.

Twenty minutes later there is a polite cough as I'm up the ladder in
Poetry.
"Hello again "I say "any luck?"
"No "says slightly flustered, hand knitted woman
" There is no Craft section. I've looked where you said and it's not
there."
"Hmm "said I. "I'll just check with you." which is code for lord
preserve us from the terminally confused.
So we go though the doors, up the stairs, past the first room on the
right and blimey she is correct. There is no craft section, there is no
stuffed sheep, and there is no second room.
"Err "I say "I'm terribly sorry. I'll just check with my colleague."
Minion 2 and I are currently sporting Spider man walkie-talkies,
borrowed from my nephew, they are handy for calling tea related
meetings.
So as bobbled lady watches, I contact Two.
"Two" I say "where is the craft section? "
There is a moment confused silence over the airwaves.
"Are you taking the piss?" Two asks.
"No" I hiss into the hand set, turning my back to knits with yak woman.
"Where the hell is Craft?"
"Um "says Two, his wariness carrying loud and clear "OK. You know the
double doors by the counter/Well it is through those, up the stairs, and
second room on the right. There is a stuffed sheep in it, you can't
miss it."
"I'm standing there now" I hiss "it's not here"
"What? "says Two " the sheep's missing ? "
"No " I say, "well yes,the sheep is missing, but so is the room"
"I'll be right there " Said Two.

Two and I stare at the space where the room was. Mrs Woven from thistles
has left in a huff convinced our blank incomprehension is an elaborate
prank.
"Do you think " 2 asks "that Sam has , err , moved it ?
"The entire room ?" I say with it must be admitted, awe in my voice.

Sam comes back from a buying trip that afternoon.
"Boss" I say "have you ... um .. done anything with the Craft
section?"
Sam gives me a pitying look, that we usually reserve for terminally
stupid customers.
"No "I say hurriedly "it's gone. Really Boss it has." Beside me 2 nods
"Hum" says Sam and starts off. Two and I follow behind. We go through
the doors, up the stairs, and there, second door on the right is the
craft section.

I think the stuffed sheep looks more cynical than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment